29 Oct Spring Vegetable Coconut Curry Recipe
Serves 2-3 People
* 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil or ghee
* 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
* 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
* 4 whole ramps, chopped fine (use 4 cloves of peeled garlic if you don’t have ramps)
* 1 Serrano chili pepper, minced (leave the seeds in if you want your curry to be spicy)
* 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
* one 14 oz. can organic whole coconut milk
* 1 cup fiddleheads, rinsed very well and cleaned of all debris (use 1 cup asparagus tips if you don’t have fiddleheads)
* 1 cup chopped dandelion greens (use collards or kale if you don’t have dandelion greens)
* 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped (I used half of a red one and half of an orange one)
* 1 large tomato, chopped
* 1 teaspoon tumeric
* 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt- optional
- In a large skillet or wok, melt the coconut oil or ghee over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook for a minute or two until they “pop”, then add the ginger, minced ramps, and chili pepper. Stir everything around for a minute or so.
- Add the chopped sweet potato to the pan along with the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if the liquid seems too thick.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, place your clean fiddleheads in a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 10 minutes (fiddleheads are a wild food, and this is the recommended preparation so that you don’t become ill from them…better safe than sorry). After they’ve been boiled for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Add the fiddleheads, the dandelion greens, the bell pepper, and the tomato to the sweet potatoes. Simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender, again adding a little water if necessary.
- Mix in the spices (and salt, if using). Cook for another minute or two. Taste and adjust the spices, if necessary. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly while you proceed with the chutney.
Download recipe: Spring Vegetable Coconut Curry Recipe