Porridge is a great way to support and heal gut health –oats are high in soluble fibre, which is great for colon health! We recommend Gluten-free oats (Bob's Red Mill from Terra Madre is a good option) or Steel cut oats as they are completely (or near-completely) unprocessed. The more natural is always better – avoid gluten and dairy where you can, especially when healing your gut.
- 2 pears peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple juice 100% juice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
1. Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the water, juice, and spice and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the liquid to simmer and add the sliced pears.
3. Continue to simmer gently until pears are tender when tested with a fork.
4. Remove pears with tongs and remove as many of the bits from the liquid as you can.
5. Put the liquid back on to simmer for 5 more minutes or until it slightly thickens.
Serve a little of the liquid with the pear.
So what's so great about pears?
Pears contain fibre which assists and sustains a healthy blood sugar level and promotes regularity.
Pears are high in antioxidants, vitamin C (helping you absorb iron), copper and folic acid. These are delicious for dessert served warm with natural or Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of hazelnuts. They also work well cold for breakfast on top of porridge or muesli.