26 Feb Poached Pears
- 2 pears peeled and quartered
- 1 cup apple juice 100% juice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the water, juice, and spice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the liquid to simmer and add the sliced pears.
- Continue to simmer gently until pears are tender when tested with a fork.
- Remove pears with tongs and remove as much of the bits from the liquid as you can.
- Put the liquid back on to simmer for 5 more minutes or until it slightly thickens. Serve a little of the liquid with the pear.
So what’s so great about pears?
Pears contain fibre which assists and sustains a healthy blood sugar level and promotes regularity.
Pears are high inantioxidants, vitamin C (helping you to absorb iron), copper and folic acid.
These are delicious for dessert served warm with natural or Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of hazelnuts.
They also work well cold for breakfast on top of porridge or muesli.