23 Apr What is Constitutional Facial Acupuncture (CFA)?
By Dr Mirjana Laskovski
Have you ever looked at your skin in the mirror and thought
“WHATS GOING ON?”
If you answered yes, then I’m here to help.
Acupuncture can help heal skin problems, especially beneficial for women who want natural skin solutions and anti-wrinkling with natural ways.
Facial acupuncture is a full constitutional treatment that views the face as an extension of the meridians of the body, which flows from the soles of the feet to the crown of the head.
When the face is needled, blood flow and Qi carries nutrients to the cells, the body interprets the insertion of the needles as a “positive injury (microtrauma), which , in turn through the stimulation of fibroblasts, can increase collagen output” (According to a study reported in Journal of Chinese Medicine and Moxibustion ,2008)
The facial acupuncture aspect is applying 10- 30+ needles on the face, as well as making sure the cause of the problem is resolved by needling specific acupuncture points on the body also. Where the points are needled and quantity all depends on the person, constitution, skin and health state that is presented and the intention of outcome desired for the patient, same as a standard Chinese medicine consultation plus a clear skin focused outcome.
|Treatments are suitable for :||
*Any type of acne, eczema,
*Dry flaky or inflamed skin, including dandruff
*Dull complexion, saggy and aging skin.
*PMS, headaches, weight fluctuations
*Stress, worry, IBS,
*period pain and any woman’s health related problems.
This treatment may also benefit women who wish to try a more natural holistic approach to self care and self acceptance in regards to aging – a welcomed alternative to botox without the toxin.
An Initial Constitutional Facial Acupuncture session involves:
- A Chinese medicine diagnosis of your skin and health complaint
- Chinese medicine skin analysis
- Acupuncture session on the body and face
- Take home information from skin health tips to lifestyle and dietary alternatives
- Your chance to ask any questions
It may also involve one or more in combination with the above:
- Chinese herbal face mask and facial
- Jade Roller or
- Gua Sha facial massage
Initial sessions are 90 minutes and follow up can either be: 90 minutes, 60 minutes, 45 minutes.
Follow Up sessions are personalized and you will be provided with an approximation of how many number of sessions you may need at your Initial appointment.
Each session will be a combination of facial, body acupuncture plus jade roller or gua sha massage and the herbal mask and facial.
*Please note to enjoy the whole experience with Chinese herbal facial and mask 90 minutes is required. Otherwise only body and facial acupuncture will be administered.
A personalized herbal prescription is available at extra cost however this is optional, your practitioner will inform you whether you may require this or not.
History of Facial Acupuncture:
Facial needling has been around for many centuries, in fact starting back to the era of 1121 BCE, many different Chinese Medical texts are seen to be referenced for skin health and specifically on the ways to benefit the skin for rejuvenation and cosmetic reasons.
Besides Facial Acupuncture; The Jade roller and the facial gua sha were both ancient tools made of the precious stone Jade, purely invented for anti-ageing and especially made for the empresses in the royal court in China.
The main benefits of Jade and thus the use of a roller and gua sha tool:
- Cooling qualities benefits inflamed skin;
- When rolled on the muscles it releases tension in the muscles;
- Increases blood circulation and moves the lymphatics;
- Allows a natural lift in the facial region when applied in a specific fashion;
- When used alongside facial serums it enhances the absorption into the skin; to
- Improve dry and dull skin;
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles;
- It feels so relaxing when applied, it gives an instant feel good boost.
Chinese herbal facial and skin care serums:
The Chinese herbal facial involves mixing specific Chinese herbs to amplify and support skin health with the application of a white egg mask. Prior to the application and following removal of the Chinese herbal mask, we use high quality wild crafted and organic skin care botanicals from the Living Libations Best Skin Ever range or the Chinese medicine White Lotus skin products range.
If you have any concerns about the ingredients contained in any of the products we use, please inform us prior to your session and we are happy to further discuss and clarify any concerns you may have.
Would you benefit from A Constitutional Facial Acupuncture?
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture is another way of addressing the root cause of your health but it provides that extra touch to resolving skin dilemma’s that is a fusion of oriental healing and skin self care into one; in particular receiving a facial that is toxic free and going to support your skin and health in the long term.
However lets be honest, there are some people that may need to avoid constitutional facial acupuncture temporarily, such as the following:
- pregnant women
- undetected high blood pressure or not managed by a qualified professional
- chronic migraine suffers except those who have them once every 3 months;
- acute herpes/cold sores
- acute allergic reactions
- the beginnings of a cold/flu
- compromised immune system
- during a panic attack, trauma/shock incident
- those who have had skin or facial fillers, botox/ injections, laser, microdermabrasions, chemical peels etc. Depending on the procedure it will be safe to commence after a specific time frame. Please call us to discuss further.
Of course receiving a standard acupuncture session during the above cases can help so do not be deterred from calling us to help you.
Download this article: What is Constitutional Facial Acupuncture (CFA)?